Monday, July 5, 2010

Viking Expansion


I'm sort of a tech geek. It's part of my being; I don't need to try real hard or anything. So I believe I have a total of 9 or 10 blogs somewhere out there on the internet. Most of them barely begun and then abandoned - not intentionally. They have simply become victims of my busy schedule as a high school band director coupled with my ever advancing need for change and newness. I have a great idea for a blog. It turns out to be somewhat one dimensional and I lose interest and start another. I'm still quite fond of each and every one and (for some silly reason) am somehow convinced that I'll end up showing them due attention once "I get some free time". (ha!) So, what is the latest thing, you may ask? Well you're staring at it. Viking Resurgence is not going away. I love this blog. Granted, it's primarily because I'm proud of my Scandinavian heritage, I love the graphic that I made for the header, and I love the quote by the Viking King Knut. The difference will be that I would like to include more entries regarding music education. I have my daily Twitter digest. That stays. I have the periodic poem / painting combo that may suit my momentary fancy. That stays. Ok, well it all stays. I'm just adding the music education stuff.

As a geek, I've been on Twitter for nearly a couple of years now. I enjoy it greatly, but certainly have not begun to harness all it can do for me. I use it to update my Facebook status. I use it to get quick messages to my students. Now I plan to use it more for collaboration. I've been aware of the #MusEdChat tag on Twitter for a while, but did not realize until very recently the large and supportive community of music educators that embody it. Wonderful! I did not realize there where weekly discussion groups. Fabulous! There are also, it seems, a large number of blogs and other websites of these individuals which can act as further support to the music educator (um, me). I would like to take part in these discussions actively. I would love to become a player in this ensemble (to reference @LindsayMorelli's blog.)

So I'll begin by documenting more of what I'm doing. My day to day operations. My successes and failures with discipline, administration, recruitment, oh - and teaching music to teenagers. Hopefully there will be more successes than failures. Hopefully lives will be effected for the good. Hopefully this active participation in #MusEdChat will assist me in being a better teacher. However the story unfolds, you'll read it here - under the Viking with the flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment