Sunday, March 28, 2010

A.J.'s Buddy

A Sad Week
We've spent the past week in Utah with family as my Dad has been in the Intensive Care Unit with Congestive Heart Failure and Aortic Dissection. While he showed outward signs of improvement throughout the week, his primary condition remained critical.  After a week on the most advanced heart and lung machine science has to offer and quite a fight, my Dad could not hold on any longer and passed away.  He had a room full of people who loved him with him at the end. 

Man's Best Friend
Dad loved dogs more than anyone I've ever known.  As a kid, he always was with his dog.  In Vietnam, he had a German Shepherd with him most of the time - virtually living on the deck of his wrecker. We've had at least one dog my entire life growing up.  Sam, Patches, Sandy, Sheba, Toby, Toby II, Auggie, Pierre, Spice, Chui, and A.J.  This last one has been out of sorts all week.  He knows something is wrong.  His buddy hasn't been home and everyone has been on edge.  The house has been full with my and my sister's families.  All week, A.J. has been overly hyper, nervously growling, and even wetting in the house.  He's a good dog, but he's under stress.  I'm sure he'll settle down, but it may take a little while.


Not The Same
Life without Dad will surely be different.  We all miss him terribly.  And as life goes on and circumstances arise, we'll be reminded again and again that we miss him.  I won't be able to call him on the phone, but I will always have the work ethic that my Dad instilled in me.  I won't be able to give him a hug, but I'll always value personal initiative, integrity, and responsibility. By lesson and by example, he's taught me to be the person I am.  I'll miss you, Dad.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment